January 2, 2011

More New Titles


In a last burst of reading before we return to school I am trying to get through the titles I brought home to review. Last night's reading was Scumble by Ingrid Law. This is a companion book to Savvy, which was on the Black-Eyed Susan 4-6 list last year. Although I did not read Savvy, I did not feel as though I had to in order to understand this story. Scumble was a great read on its own merits. The characters were believable and were able to annoy, amuse and concern me. This book would appeal to anyone who has ever felt out of place or who has a wacky family.

This morning, I started Heart of a Samurai by Margi Preus. This is historical fiction set in the mid-19th century and is based on a true story. So far, characters have been shipwrecked, rescued and robbed. At this point in the story, Manjiro (the main character) is faced with a life-altering decision. Could you turn your back on all that you know, the only people who connect you with your past and the opportunity to return home to take a chance on a better life? To find out what Manjiro decides, read Heart of a Samurai.

No comments:

Post a Comment